5 Myths about Toenail Fungus
Myths are creative tales about a person, event, or thing that tell interesting stories—but aren’t really true. Mythology has existed as long as society, from tales of ancient gods and goddesses to stories about problems like diseases and injuries. While many myths are fun and harmless, sometimes they spread misinformation. Modern “myths,” particularly about health issues like toenail fungus, are good examples.
Myths about toenail fungus can seem almost as resilient as the condition itself, but they don’t share the whole truth about this infection with the people who have it. Busting those myths can help you get more accurate information about your nails and foot care, so you can get what you really need to address the issue. Here are five common myths about nail fungus and the truth behind them:
- Toenail fungus is harmless – Toenail fungus is unsightly and many people suffer embarrassment over their toes that can make social situations more difficult. Beyond that, however, the fungus can increase your risks for bacterial infections and even ingrown nails.
- You can’t get it if you wear nail polish – Nail polish can help trap the fungus rather than protect against it. Polish traps moisture, fostering that fungus-friendly environment.
- Only dirty people get it – Anyone can get a fungal infection. Our skin and nails are covered in bacteria and fungus that we contract from our environment. An infection can occur from a number of circumstances.
- Fungal nails go away eventually – Fungal infections get worse, not better, if you ignore them. Only active treatment will eliminate them.
- You don’t have many treatment options available – You have plenty of options, from oral and tropical anti-fungal medications to tailored topical compounds and laser nail treatments. It all depends on your unique needs.
No one likes having fungal nail infections, but knowing the truth from the myths can help you seek out the care you need. If you’ve noticed your nails growing discolored and unsightly, don’t wait for the problem to get worse! The sooner you deal with the infection, the better.
Contact our experts at Dallas Podiatry Works for more information about nail restoration or an appointment to deal with your toenails today. Just call one of our offices: (972) 566-7474 for Dallas, or (972) 943-3323 for Plano.
Join the 50,000 happy feet that have found relief at Dallas Podiatry Works! Our Dallas podiatrist provides 5-star-rated foot and ankle care. Our advanced foot care includes children's foot care, foot and ankle sports injuries, stem cell therapy, bunion treatment, toenail restoration, toenail fungus treatment, hammertoe treatment, claw toe treatment, neuroma treatment, heel pain relief, limb salvage, wound care, arthritis treatment, boutique foot services, corn removals, callus removals, wart removals and more.
Come experience Dallas Podiatry Works of Dallas, TX and Plano, TX! You will see for yourself that our podiatrists, foot doctors and foot specialists provide 5-star-rated foot and ankle care in Dallas TX, Plano TX, Frisco TX, McKinney TX, Richardson TX, Garland TX, Rockwall TX, Allen TX, Arlington TX and Fort Worth TX. Call 972.566.7474