Time to Get Checked: Stress Fracture Symptoms
Uncomfortable foot symptoms are usually your first sign that things may not be all as they should. They are your warning flags that signal it is time to get checked by a podiatrist. That is definitely the case for overuse issues like stress fractures. Often that pain starts small and gets bigger as the problem gets worse. Recognizing stress fracture symptoms can help you catch the problem and take care of it early so you can avoid more pain later.
Stress fractures are thin cracks that develop in bones under significant pressure or repetitive hard impacts. They’re most common in the lower limbs, which have to support both your body weight and the stress of striking the ground when you walk or run. Continued pressure on the affected foot can widen the cracks until they fracture completely, which is why they need to be treated early and why you can’t afford to ignore the symptoms.
So what are those symptoms—what does a stress fracture feel like?
- Pain that increases when you’re active – When you walk, run, or even do things around your house, the pain slowly increases the longer you’re on your feet. Over time, the pain of simply using the affected foot will increase as well.
- Pain that decreases when you rest – When you take pressure off your feet and allow yourself to rest, the pain will decrease, giving you some relief.
- Swelling in your foot – Most likely the area around the stress fracture will swell at least a little.
- Tenderness above the crack – Touching the part of your foot where the stress fracture is will be uncomfortable and feel tender.
- Possible bruising – You may or may not develop bruises above the cracked bone.
These are not symptoms you should ignore. Stress fractures don’t heal on their own. They need proper care. Instead, let our experts at Dallas Podiatry Works help you eliminate the problem so you can get back to the life and activities you love. Just contact us through our website for more information. You can also call our Texas offices directly: (972) 566-7474 for Dallas, or (972) 943-3323 for Plano.
Join the 50,000 happy feet that have found relief at Dallas Podiatry Works! Our Dallas podiatrist provides 5-star-rated foot and ankle care. Our advanced foot care includes children's foot care, foot and ankle sports injuries, stem cell therapy, bunion treatment, toenail restoration, toenail fungus treatment, hammertoe treatment, claw toe treatment, neuroma treatment, heel pain relief, limb salvage, wound care, arthritis treatment, boutique foot services, corn removals, callus removals, wart removals and more.
Come experience Dallas Podiatry Works of Dallas, TX and Plano, TX! You will see for yourself that our podiatrists, foot doctors and foot specialists provide 5-star-rated foot and ankle care in Dallas TX, Plano TX, Frisco TX, McKinney TX, Richardson TX, Garland TX, Rockwall TX, Allen TX, Arlington TX and Fort Worth TX. Call 972.566.7474