Avoiding Ankle Injuries in Sports
It’s National Parks and Recreation Month! What a great time to check out our own Dallas Parks and Rec programs. From running races and soccer leagues to basketball teams and volleyball camps, there’s something for everyone! Of course, you might be worried your ankles won’t be able to handle all that action, but you’re in luck! If you’re concerned about a sprained ankle or ankle fracture, here are some things you can do to help prevent ankle injuries in sports:
- Warm up. Don’t just jump right in without any preparation. You need to get your ankle muscles, ligaments, and tendons limber so they don’t strain, or worse, snap!
- Train for the sport. Not only should you warm up just prior to your event, but you should also condition your ankles leading up to your game or race. It’s important to do this training gradually, and break up any repetitive stress with alternate activities.
- Wear proper shoes — proper for the sport as well as proper fit!
- Be aware of terrain. If you are able, avoid running too many hills or playing on hard or uneven surfaces.
- Use a brace, tape, or wrap. Especially if you’ve had ankle troubles in the past, it’s a good idea to provide it with a little support.
- Do special ankle exercises. Yeah, that’s a thing! There are certain exercises and stretches that can strengthen your ankles and promote greater flexibility, range of motion, and balance.
So, don’t be afraid to try something new and sign up for a parks and rec program today! Follow these guidelines and your ankles should be ready for action and stay injury-free! Call us for more tips or if you need some help with an ankle injury or any other sports injury or condition that is bothering you. Just dial (888) 716-5283 and we’ll be happy to help!
Join the 50,000 happy feet that have found relief at Dallas Podiatry Works! Our Dallas podiatrist provides 5-star-rated foot and ankle care. Our advanced foot care includes children's foot care, foot and ankle sports injuries, stem cell therapy, bunion treatment, toenail restoration, toenail fungus treatment, hammertoe treatment, claw toe treatment, neuroma treatment, heel pain relief, limb salvage, wound care, arthritis treatment, boutique foot services, corn removals, callus removals, wart removals and more.
Come experience Dallas Podiatry Works of Dallas, TX and Plano, TX! You will see for yourself that our podiatrists, foot doctors and foot specialists provide 5-star-rated foot and ankle care in Dallas TX, Plano TX, Frisco TX, McKinney TX, Richardson TX, Garland TX, Rockwall TX, Allen TX, Arlington TX and Fort Worth TX. Call 972.566.7474