These 7 Habits May Be Damaging Your Nails
Bad habits…most people have some, but the important thing is what someone does about them. The first step to getting over a bad habit is to recognize it and commit to changing it. This extends to habits that may be damaging your nails, including:
- Picking at nail polish. It can be tempting to pick at the polish on your toenails when it gets old. Doing this, however, can remove the top layer of the nail tissue, which ultimately leads to weaker nails. Instead, use nail polish remover to get the job done.
- Attacking cuticles. In the same spirit, avoid the temptation to pick at your cuticles. Doing so can leave them looking dry and ragged, plus it increases your risk for infection. As a safer alternative, use a cuticle-removing product to avoid damaging healthy tissue.
- Always using gel polish. Gel polishes do last for a long time, which is the point, but the removal process can weaken and damage the nail bed.
- Wearing nail polish for weeks. This practice leads to excessively dry toenails. Once the polish is removed, you can observe white spots indicating that your nails are too dry.
- Not getting proper nutrition. A nutrient-rich diet is essential for optimal levels of health, but it easy to overlook the benefits proper vitamins and minerals offer your nails. Eating junk food deprives your body of nutrients and cause nails to be thin and weak.
- Not applying a base coat. Skipping a protective, clear base coat can potentially result in toenails that are yellowed and unsightly.
- Changing nail color too often. This practice can be damaging in two different ways. The first is simply that nails can become weak when constantly covered under polish. The other is that traditional, acetone-based nail polish removers lead to excessive dryness for your nails, which then causes peeling and splitting, which increases risk for contracting a nail infection.
Dallas Podiatry Works is committed to helping your toenails look their absolute best and reducing the effects of habits that may damage your nails. As part of this mission, we are pleased to offer MediCureNow – a pedicure performed here in our hygienic environment by medical professionals. In addition to walking out with gorgeous nails, your feet will have been exfoliated, moisturized and massaged.
Call us toll-free at (888) 716-5283 to find out more about MediCureNow at our Dallas or Plano, TX offices.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "7 things you're doing that damage your nails"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."